Monday, January 9, 2012

Easy on the bread stuffing

I adore a good bread stuffing. The butter, the herbs, the soft crunch of the sweated onions and just the fluffy softness of the butter soaked bread crumbs which have just sucked up all of the flavours. That to me is when it is at it's most perfect and delicious, when it's fresh out of the pot. Since I've tried to limit my wheat intake to only occasional indulgences, bread stuffing had fallen to the back of my mind. It's a forgotten pleasure for me which has only recently seen a reintroduction to my diet. 


You can make this with whatever type of bread you like; normal wheat, wholewheat, brown, batch, soda, rye or gluten/wheat free. Whatever you like and can eat. 


*Also for the time being you'll have to forgive my lack of a photo I've been having some problems with my SD card and my camera lately.


Ingredients:
½ courgette grated,
1 large carrot grated,
½ tsp mixed dry herbs,
3 tbsp ground almonds, 
2 tbsp butter (vegan, normal, whatever),
½ large onion finely chopped,
½ red pepper, finely chopped,
2 large crushed garlic cloves,
As little or as much as you want of stale bread made into breadcrumbs (maybe no more than 3 slices max?)


Melt the butter in a saucepan. Once its melted sweat off the onion and garlic for about 3-4 minutes with the lid on before adding the grated courgette, carrot and the finely chopped red pepper. Return the lid and give the vegetables another 3-4 minutes to soften before adding the mixed dry herbs, ground almonds and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper then make to give the mixture a good stir. 


***


Enjoy as is without any further cooking or use to make stuffed tomatoes, pepper halves or stuffed portobello mushrooms which will take about 15-20 minutes in the oven at 180° C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.


If you just want to cook off a batch of this stuffing in a container on its own in oven, give it 15 minutes at the same temperature and enjoy in sandwiches. 


Tasty additives to the stuffing could include finely chopped mushrooms, finely chopped celery, chopped sundried tomatoes, cheese, broken up hazelnuts or sunflower seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment