Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dark chocolate mousse

I've had a hankering for chocolate mousse for a few days now. I volunteer as a moderator with a mental health community website so I caved and whipped up a batch of dark chocolate mousse planning to reward myself after my shift with some chocolate yumminess. And it certainly was yummy!

The recipe I used is the Chocolate rum pots recipe from 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats. But with the cream and rum substituted with oat cream and Cointreau.

Just as a side note, this recipe does contain raw eggs. Also it contains alcohol that doesn't get cooked out, so be cautious about people driving a car soon after eating this, but you don't have to add the alcohol if you don't want to.


Ingredients: 
100g dark chocolate (I used 74%),
2 eggs, yolks and whites separated,
3 tbsps caster sugar,
2 tsbps oat cream, (I used Oatley),
Optional: 3 tbsps liquor (I used cointreau).

Break up the chocolate and melt it in a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Leave the chocolate too cool slightly, but not enough that it starts to re-solidify.

Mix the egg yokes with the sugar until they go pale custardy yellow and fluffy. Add the liquor (if you're using it) and the oat cream to the beaten yokes. Then drizzle and fold the cooled chocolate into the mixture.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gradually fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.

Pour the mixture into individual dishes/little ramekins/espresso cups/shot glasses and leave to set for at least 2 hours (though I ate mine after 1 hour in the fridge and it was lovely).

No comments:

Post a Comment